Ecological Questions: fridge magnets

Would you like a fridge magnet to remind you where to look on-line for answers to your ecological questions? Would you like a sticker that reminds you what is and is not recyclable? Either one would be a handy reminder to stick on your fridge. Both are available free at your Eco-quartier NDG.

By |March 7th, 2018|Composting, Recycling|0 Comments

How language interns benefit the environment

Over the years, the language students have participated in a myriad of volunteer activities. These include making eco-cleaners, hosting kiosks, promoting recycling door-to-door, writing blog posts, and the list goes on.

For the student, it is an opportunity to learn new vocabulary while doing what are usually new tasks for them. I can absolutely relate to […]

How wild animals spend the winter

Animals have the same tricks to deal with the cold temperatures as we do; travelling to warmer areas or staying at home doing absolutely nothing except putting on as many layers as possible against the cold.
Like humans every animal species has a different approach to dealing with the cold.


Even though skunks do not hibernate, you […]

By |March 7th, 2018|Urban Wildlife|0 Comments

Zero waste conference with Bea Johnson

She also discovered some strange habits that we have. In a typical closet we wear 20% of the clothes all the time, and the other 80% are ‘in case clothes’ (in case we are invited to a wedding, we have an interview, we finally lose that weight, etc). Bea only has full-time clothes, she donated […]

By |February 21st, 2018|Composting, Recycling, Social Responsibility|0 Comments

How to prevent moths 

Now that the weather has gotten colder, it is time to pack up our summer clothes for the winter.

Moths are attracted to soiled/dirty clothes, so be sure to wash your clothes before placing them in storage. Laundering in hot water kills moth eggs and larvae.

Once you are ready to pack the clothes, consider adding a […]

By |February 14th, 2018|Urban Wildlife|0 Comments

How Eco-quartier became part of the Prevention CDN-NDG Family

The City of Montréal’s Environmental Program (Éco-quartier) was created in 1995, during Pierre Bourque’s term in office.  Originally, each of the city’s 51 electoral district had its own office with separate staff, offices and projects.  Each was administered by various locally established groups. Éco-quartier’s  mandate is to promote eco-civism and environmental education, encouraging citizens to […]

Idling the car in winter

Now that the weather has gotten colder, the Éco-quartier NDG staff see more and more drivers iding their cars (leaving their cars running while they run into a store for example).

According to experts, it is not necessary to idle cars in winter for more than a minute because it is not worth your time or […]

By |February 14th, 2018|Social Responsibility|0 Comments

The new R is “Refuse!”

We all know that the term ‘3R’ is actually an abbreviation of the three ways to reduce the waste of our resources:

  • Reduce
  • Reuse
  • RecycleBut there is a new, fourth R to consider ‘refuse’. These are simple but powerful words. You can lighten your carbon footprint simply by refusing things that can produce waste and […]
By |February 14th, 2018|Recycling, Social Responsibility|0 Comments

New year’s resolutions because of the recycling crisis

As the New Year has arrived many people have started working on their New Year’s resolutions – beginning to change their behaviour and habits. Let us all take this as an opportunity to rethink our approach to reducing waste.

You may have heard by now, but in the beginning of 2018, China changed its way of […]

By |February 14th, 2018|Recycling|0 Comments

Summary of my volunteer work project (language intern)

I always wanted to have experience as a volunteer, which is why I did my language placement at the Éco-quartier NDG. I think that the whole program works on a give-and-take basis, so that both sides benefit from it. During my time at Éco-quartier I wrote and translated a lot of articles in French as […]

By |February 14th, 2018|Volunteering|0 Comments