The horticulture agent will contribute to the greening of the neighbourhood (mini-gardens, balcony pots, vines to discourage graffiti, reduction of heat islands, etc).
• Work with local community groups as well as residents (including those in the Walkley, Westhaven-Elmhurst, Benny, Sherbrooke Forest areas) to increase their garden and green spaces, favouring perennials and other ecological choices;
• Offer workshops on ecological gardening and how to grow herbs;
• Host kiosks on ecological gardening;
• Help with the intergenerational gardening program (allows youth to learn from more senior gardeners who need help with the physical side of gardening);
• Ensure the proper functioning of the 2 Incredible Edible gardens on Somerled (in partnership with Transition NDG);
• Promote the perennial plant exchange as well as the Tree for my Borough;
• Promote vines to organizations that would like to plant them along a wall to help combat heat islands (îlots de chaleur) as well as graffiti.
• Help cover the Éco-quartier NDG office during business hours;
• Organize and participate in activities and mobilization events in the neighborhood;
• Support other projects as needed (kiosks, door-to-door, clean-ups, etc.).
• Recruit volunteers;
• Work on communication tools such as leaflets, posters, electronic journal;
• Promote recycling and food waste collection;
• Training in horticulture or one year of experience in this field
• Good knowledge of native plants in the Montreal area
• Knowledge and interest in urban agriculture
• Experience in animation
• Making various plantations closely with residents and partners
• Establish and support urban agriculture projects
• Organize and participate in activities and / or mobilization events in the neighborhood
• Ensure receipt as required and answer questions from residents, deliver recovery bags Perform ground tracking (cleanliness, beautification and collection)
• Recruiting Volunteers
• Working on communication tools such as leaflets, posters, electronic journal
• The composting sensitizing agent is in charge of maintaining the three community composting sites, recruit volunteers to help with compost and present workshops on composting / vermicomposting. The agent should also promote community composting when touring door-to-door (one evening per week).
Objectives: Reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills by promoting the food waste collection
• must be between 17 AND 30 YEARS OLD (INCLUSIVE) at the start of employment;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
• be legally entitled to work in Canada according to relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations;
• Studied in a field related to the environment (biology, land use, ecology, horticulture, geography…) or any other related field.
Salary: $14/hr for 30 hrs / week (number of weeks to be confirmed by Service Canada)
Please send your cover letter & C.V. by email to the attention of Nicole Schiebel to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.