About Us…A History
During the 1980s, there was a serious increase in the number of residential break-ins across the City of Montreal. As a result, a group of concerned citizens established Prévention NDG in 1988 with the goal of fostering a safer neighbourhood. The organization’s guiding principle is that quality of life issues touch all members of the community and that citizens thus have an active role to play in finding solutions.
That same year, Prévention acquired a contract to manage Opération Tandem, the City of Montréal’s official crime prevention program. Inspired by American “Neighbourhood watch” programs, Tandem encourages citizen participation and increased cooperation between police and residents. The basic premise is simple: find local solutions for neighbourhood-specific problems.
By being out in the community with citizens, the members of Prevention have prided themselves as developing strong ties with citizens, partners,and funders. We have played a role of lobbying for projects that would serve a need in our neighbourhoods. In 1996 the offices of Tandem CDN and NDG merged together.
Over the years, Prévention CDN-NDG has added several other programs in order to better meet the growing needs of the community. Since 2002 we have managed Éco-quartier NDG, a City Program dedicated to raising environmental awareness in the city. Since 2006 we have played the role of fiduciary of various partnership programs as well as adding our own projects for both youth and seniors in difficulty as well as graffiti prevention projects.
Today, we offer a variety of community programs that touch on urban security, environmental protection, citizen awareness and mobilisation, and support for vulnerable populations.
- Tandem CDN—NDG (City Of Montréal Urban Security Program);
- Éco-quartier NDG (City of Montreal’s Environmental Program);
- Prévention et sensibilisation aux graffiti et au vandalisme;
- The creation of murals (both as Fiduciary and independently);
- Festival des arts urbains Hip-Hop You Don’t Stop
- Street Work Côte-des-Neiges (Fiduciary in partnership with the Table de Concertation Jeunesse CDN)
- Travailleur de Rue Ligne Bleue (Fiduciary with the Table de Concertation Jeunesse CDN …. and The Maison des Jeunes Outremont)
- Outreach Worker Montclair-Fielding
- Outreach Worker Notre-Dame-de-Grâce (Fiduciary with the Table Jeunesse NDG)
- Animation Public Spaces CDN (formerly known as Basketball Animation)
- Prevention of Hypersexualization (Fiduciary for the CDN Youth Table)
- Outreach Worker for Secteur Victoria-Mandela,
- Park Animators CDN and NDG (in Partnership with both youth Tables)
- Jeunes Leaders
- Outreach Worker for Seniors CDN
- Mobilisation of Residents Fielding-Walkley (Fiduciary for the Partnership Table for FIelding-Walkley)
- Fruits de la communauté (FIduciary for the Walkley Centre Provisional Board)
- Outreach Worker for Young Women (In Partnership with the Prevention Of Hypersexualization and Fiduciary for the CDN Youth Table)